Francis Hopkinson Society, C.A.R.
Our Children of the American Revolution (C.A.R.) are learning American history while receiving patriotic education,
and they are taught vital skills needed to become tomorrow’s leaders!
If you have children in your family or circle, between the ages of 0 – 21, who would enjoy working with other children in our fun and active society,
please let us know and email us.
We look forward to hearing from you!
National Society of the Children of the American Revolution: www.nscar.org
Pennsylvania C.A.R.: www.pennsylvaniacar.org
Our society participates in state and national projects. This year’s national project is themed “Foundations of Freedom” and has the goal of raising funds for the reproduction Washington Family Desk at George Washington’s boyhood home, Ferry Farm (in Virginia) and to support the development of Ferry Farm’s web-based educational initiatives for students, worldwide.
This year’s state project is themed “Force On The Move.” Children will raise funds to support the Oscar Mike Foundation and our local USO.
Here are a few examples of the fun we are having:
- Wreath laying ceremony, held at Christ Church’s burial grounds where we honored Francis Hopkinson, signer of the Declaration of Independence, and whom our society is named for.
- Celebrating Flag Day and annual flag retirement ceremonies
- Celebrating Constitution Day and ringing bells in accordance with Bells Across America
- Participating in a library scavenger hunt.
- Attending the Revolutionary Germantown Festival in Philadelphia’s Germantown community.
- Taking a trip to the Moland House in Bucks County, PA, which was General George Washington’s headquarters for 13 days before he became our nation’s first President.
- Engaging in social, fun events such as the Doylestown Escape Room!
- Community service at the YMCA of Bucks County on Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, and at Feed My Starving Children’s MobilePack events
- Signing greeting cards for veterans, thanking them for their service
- Speaking at DAR chapter events about our chapter, state, and national projects – yes, the children are the lead speakers!
- Participating in commemorative events on Memorial Day and other holidays
- Attending regional and state conferences and national convention, and other C.A.R. chapter’s events
Our 2018 society officers were officially installed and we held our packet planning meeting.
We painted “Kindness Rocks” for veterans which were later hidden at the American Legion building in Doylestown, Pennsylvania.
See our “Kindness Rocks” below!
Our Society annually observes Flag Day by participating in a Flag Retirement Ceremony in Leesport, Pennsylvania. In the pictures below, Our Society President and Registrar read passages while the stripes were cut. We all retired flags in honor of veterans and patriots.
Here are some of the Flags that were brought to be “retired.”
Email: Philadelphia Chapter, NSDAR webmaster.
Photo credits: all images are courtesy of Elizabeth Campbell, Taryn Edmonds, & Jennifer Thorpe.